Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4

by Frank Pipek


Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4


Tamiya's 1/48 scale Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4/7 Trop is available online from Squadron




Here is Tamiya's 1/48 scale Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4.

I finished the model in the markings of Hans von Hahn, 1.Grp / JG 3 "Udet". He flew it in the “Adlertag ” campaign from Colombert, France, in Sept. 1940.




The model was built with following updates:

  • cockpit-set from Aires (resin)

  • photoechted parts from Eduard

  • main wheels from True Details (resin)

  • decals from Aeromaster (Battle of Britain special)



The kit fitted very well and was a pleasure to build. The option for dropped flaps and slats was very helpful and simply achieved! Under the circumstances I decided to cut off the elevators and place them in a down position, too. I also replaced the kit cockpit with the Aires cockpit set and I was very happy with it - much better details and realistic look!



Additionally, I added some handgrips out of stretched sheet to the windscreen and some details like the main gear brake lines and the antenna.

The exhausts have also been drilled out.



Painting and Weathering


First, Polished Aluminium from Humbrol was sprayed overall, followed by Gunze acrylics for the camouflage scheme in RLM 65 / 02 / 71.

Because of the mottling on the fuselage sides I did not tape the straight camouflage pattern on the wings and the top of the fuselage to avoid a to hard contrast between both kind of schemes. Instead of tape, I used a homemade stencil out of cardboard to brush the straight pattern. I was very satisfied with the result! The transition between the colours looks straight, but softer than a taped colour-line.



So both types of camouflage schemes, straight pattern + mottling, fit together well.

Then I scratched off the topcolour with a sharp blade to show the aluminium base. After that I sprayed Gunze gloss and attached the decals. All weathering (panel lines, oil stains etc) was achieved using artists oilcolours. The only exeption was the soot from the exhausts and guns. I used artists chalk (pastels) for this effect.

Finally everything was sealed with Gunze Flat Clear.



Additional Images


Click the thumbnails below to view larger images:

Model, Images and Text Copyright © 2003 by Frank Pipek
Page Created 16 February, 2003
Last Updated 17 March, 2004

Back to HyperScale Main Page