Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

1/32 scale ProModeler backdate
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2

by Ian Robertson


Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2


ProModeler's 1/32 scale Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4 is available online from Squadron.com




This model depicts a Messerschmitt Bf.109G-2 from JG 5 in Finland during the winter of 1943. The scheme on this 1/32 Pro-Modeler kit is based loosely on a photograph in Bergström and Pegg’s book, “Jagdwaffe: The War in Russia, November 1942 – December 1943”, Vol. 4(3) in the Jagdwaffe series by Classic Colours.



The photograph (pg 281) shows the aircraft from behind with only the patchy winter camouflage on its wings clearly visible, so I relied on other examples of winter camouflage on Bf.109’s to complete my project.





Backdating a G-4 to a G-2

Converting the Bf.109G-4 into a G-2 is a simple procedure. I replaced the kit’s main tires with a narrower style of tire produced by Aires for their Bf.109F conversion (the F tire is appropriate for the G-2, and can be purchased from Aires as part of the F conversion set or on its own). With the narrower tire, the teardrop-shaped fairing on the upper surface of each wing should be deleted.


I replaced the kit’s tail wheel assembly with MDC’s tail wheel and yoke for the G-6 (it’s close enough for me). The replacement wheel assembly was modified by removing the dust cover and adding a piece of rigid wire for the strut. Because most G-2s had a retractable tail wheel, I opened the wheel well and added stiffeners using strip styrene around the edges.

The position of the fuselage antenna lead-in was different between the G-2 and G-4 due to the use of different radio equipment. Specifically, the antennae lead-in on the G-2 entered on panel 5 rather than panel 7. The antenna wire on my model was made from stretched sprue.

I removed the air vent located on the port side below the windscreen as this was present only on later G-2s.

Other Modifications

  • MDC cockpit and spinner

  • Seatbelts made from lead foil with MDC buckles

  • Cutting Edge exhausts

  • Covers at base of wing cannons were made from bare metal foil

  • Decals from EagleCals and Cutting Edge



Painting and Markings

The model was painted in a standard scheme of RLM74/75 over 76 using Polly Scale acrylics. Prior to the application of the base camouflage, the lower cowl and wingtips were painted yellow and masked until all other painting was complete.

A number of steps were followed to create the winter distemper effect. First, I used a 3mm wide flat-edged brush to apply white Polly Scale acrylic straight from the bottle to the areas I wanted covered in distemper. I made no effort to apply the paint evenly, and I kept the coverage thin over the model’s surface.

Once the paint dried I sanded it with a micromesh sanding cloth to remove any unwanted thickness. Next, I applied white Tamiya acrylic (with a touch of black) over the areas that were roughed-in with the brush, making sure to leave a hint of the uneven coverage produced by the brush. I found that the Tamiya white covered better in this role than Polly Scale white.


On the fuselage sides I sprayed patches of RLM80, particularly in the region of the Balkenkreuz and on the cowl.

To remove the clean and fresh look of the white distemper, I sprayed a highly thinned mixture of black and burnt umber paint over the model's surfaces, both upper and lower. Once the paint was dry, I used medium and fine grain sandpaper to scuff the distemper and in some places expose the camouflage beneath. Additional washes of raw sienna mixed with burnt umber (Model Master enamels) were applied with a soft brush.

A clear coat of Future was applied prior to the addition of decals. Once the decals were dry I added a clear dull coat mixed from equal amounts of Polly Scale clear flat and clear satin. Some weathering of the decals was done so that they conformed to the general appearance of the aircraft.





As luck would have it, a brief flurry of snow came to Boise early in January 2005 on a morning when I could get out to take photographs. In preparation for the photo-shoot, I took my standard base with artificial grass from Heki (item # 1574 - Wild Grass Savanna) and misted it with a coat of Tamiya buff acrylic followed by Tamiya white acrylic. This gave the grass a frosty winter appearance, perfect for the conditions outside. While the colors on the model are muted by the lighting conditions in the photos, I hope you’ll agree that the dreary conditions capture the right mood for this paint scheme. I’ve added a few pictures taken on a sunny day to show the markings on the model more vividly.



Additional Images


Click on the thumbnails below to view larger images:

Slovakian and Bulgarian Aces of World War 2
Aircraft of the Aces 58
Author: Jiri Rajlich
Illustrator: John Weal
US Price: $19.95
UK Price: £12.99
Publisher: Osprey Publishing
Publish Date:
 February 25, 2004
Details: 96 pages; ISBN: 1841766526
Shop cart
Buy it from Osprey Publishing

Model, Images and Text Copyright © 2005 by Ian Robertson
Page Created 18 February, 2005
Last Updated 17 February, 2005

Back to HyperScale Main Page