Hasegawa's 1/32 scale
by James Kelly
Messerschmitt Bf 109K-4
Hasegawa's 1/32 scale Bf 109K-4 is available online from
As the Second World War drew to a close, the last primary operational Bf
109 fighter variant, the K-4, was introduced to the skies.
The Bf 109K-4 was a pressurized-cabin, high-altitude capable
fighter-interceptor that would draw to a close Messerschmitt’s 30,000
flugzeug-plus legacy. Powered by the DB-605ASC or DB-605DC engine, with
GM-1 nitrous oxide boost, delivery began in October of 1944. Armed with
one 30 mm MK 103 or MK 108 cannon and two 15 mm MG 151 heavy
machine-guns, the Kurfurst was poised to be a robust Heavy Killer,
intended to deal more effectively with the incessant Allied bombers in
the skies above Germany.
Approximately 700 examples were delivered to active units before war’s
Hasegawa's 1/32 scale Bf 109K-4
The kit is Hasegawa’s 2003 Bf 109K-4 release, Number ST 20, an excellent
kit overall, recent reviews here on HyperScale have mentioned it’s
cockpit’s shortcomings. Not terrible, mind you, and actually it’s quite
But a kit this size demands more detail, and the resin set from Eagle
Editions was used. A new Eagle Parts release from the Crandalls, this
cockpit set was mastered by Gregg Cooper. Combined with Jerry Crandall’s
extensive Luftwaffe knowledge base, and his equally extensive archive of
actual aircraft parts & documents, this aftermarket set really must be
seen to be fully appreciated!
An in-depth review
can be read here. The model depicts Werknummer 334176, manufactured
at Messerschmitt’s Regensberg Flugzeugwerks. And was flown by Uffz.
Martin Deskau, III./JG3, Germany, April 1945. You’ll note the hastily
sprayed suffix of the Werknummer on the fuselage. Towards the war’s end,
the time to correctly stencil the numerics coming out of the
Flugzeugwerks was not taken…although, apparently, someone corrected it
later, presumably in the field.
Construction went as one would expect from a Hasegawa kit; fairly
uneventful. A few fuselage modifications are required for the Eagle
Editions cockpit set to fit properly, but they are simple to do, and
illustrated with photos in the accompanying instruction sheet.
The wing roots, however, posed more of a problem than anticipated. Even
after grinding down the floor of the resin cockpit set with a Dremel
tool as far as I dared, the one root still had a major gap, despite the
ventral surfaces being flush. It was almost like the wings and fuselage
were from different kits! A little styrene, a lot of Porci-Flex and Mr.
Surfacer, and a great deal of sanding later, they were well-mated! The
port wing was a bit better, but still a surprisingly mediocre fit. The
fillet seam was rescribed on both sides.
Although I have a photo of this particular aircraft parked with the
tailwheel gear doors open, I chose to re-make them shut (I didn’t want
to detail the tailwheel gear bay, to be honest with you, and this was
easier!). I cut off the open, molded doors, and measured a piece of
styrene with the two cutouts. I scribed a simple line down the middle,
cemented it over the gear bay, and sanded to fit. A few panel lines were
rescribed where needed, and a few access panels were added where they
should be but weren’t. Rivets lost during sanding/buffing were
re-applied with a Hasegawa rivet tool. Aside from the required fuselage
alterations for the cockpit and the wing root issues, the rest of the
model assembled easily according to instructions.
Below is a summary of detailing and accurizations of the model:
Eagle Editions Bf 109K-4 cockpit set #26-32
Seat Harness fashioned from 0.015” sheet brass
Canopy tensioner made from 0.015” solder
Click the thumbnails below to view larger
Cutting Edge resin ventral radiator door
Cutting Edge hollowed out exhausts
Tailwheel doors removed and replaced with scratch built doors from
Numerous panel lines and rivets rescribed as necessary
Cutting Edge resin MG 151 cowl-mounted guns added
Wire mesh screen added to supercharger intake
Strip styrene “weld line” added to supercharger intake
Cutting Edge resin rudder & horizontal stabilizers added to replace
Rudder hinges fashioned from 0,20” sheet brass
Day fighter camouflage scheme replicated with Gunze Sangyo 75/76/82
Post shading done with Tamiya “Smoke” (X-19) thinned 95% with ETOH,
airbrushed at 5-10 psi
Chipping done with Silver pencil and Napoleon Blue artist’s acrylics
Eagle Editions EagleCals sheet #EC74 used
Spray painted “Werknummer” airbrushed using EagleCals templates
(included with decals)
Instrument panel dials a combination of individually placed kit and
Reheat 1/32 Vintage placard ans ALPS decals in cockpit
After masking the canopy and windscreen with Bare Metal Foil, the model
was primered with Gunze’s Mr. Surfacer 500. I mix it 50/50 with laquer
thinner. Then the entire airframe was lightly wet-sanded (?) with
Micromesh pads and cloths, beginning with 1500 grit and progressing
through 12000 grit.
The late-war RLM75/82/76 day fighter camouflage scheme was applied with
an Iwata HP-C at 10-15 psi using Gunze Sangyo Auqeous Hobby Color
acrylics (H69, H418, H65, and H422). Testor’s Clear Gloss coat laquer
was decanted into a 30 ml cup, and then applied.
The EagleCals decals were applied, with the hastily applied fuselage
Werknummer airbrushed through a “stencil” I cut out using the provided
template on the decal instructions (which also include a 1/48 and 1/72
scale template). Postshading of the panel lines was achieved with Tamiya
Smoke (X-19) applied freehand at 5 psi. Final sealant coat was a
covering of Tamiya Flat Base (X-21) mixed 30/70 with Future.
Model, Images and Text
Copyright © 2004 by
Page Created 24 November, 2004
24 November, 2004
HyperScale Main Page