1/48 scale F-86 Part One
Canadair Sabre Mk.6
by Mike Robertson
Pakistan Air Force circa 1970’s
Hasegawa's 1/48 scale F-86 Sabre is available
online at Squadron.com
The basis of this
kit is the Hasegawa Luftwaffe Sabre that included resin wingtips to
reduce the span thus providing the slatted 6-3 wing.
The markings are
from On Target Decals sheet number MA-48120 which feature aircraft
profiled in On Target Profiles 6, North American, Canadair &
Commonwealth F-86 Sabre in RAF, RCAF, RAAF, SAAF, Pakistani and
Malaysian Service, published by The Aviation Workshop Publications
and authored by Jon Freeman.
Generally, the kit
went together quite well with light filling required at the lower
wing to fuselage joins.
The nose cone
caused some difficulty due to the larger circumference of this part
in relation to the attachment area on the forward fuselage.
Considerable sanding was required to obtain a good finish.
The resin wing tips
were a generally poor fit overall being thinner in section and a
butt fit as provided. Holes were drilled in the resin tips and area
of the wing where they join to provide strength by inserting plastic
rod. This was followed by a coat of filler to increase the tip
thickness to match the wing and the inevitable sanding, filling,
sanding process to obtain an even thickness.
The scoop found on
the right fuselage adjacent to the speed brake was removed as this
is appropriate for the F86F-40 Sabre of the JASDF.
The ‘sugar scoop’ intakes were made from plastic strip and square
stock and slowly shaped to match photos. The Sabre featured is an
ex-Luftwaffe jet and featured a Martin Baker ejection seat.
The seat used in
the kit is from the Hasegawa F8 and modified to represent the seat
fitted to Luftwaffe Sabres.
The author notes that the ex- Luftwaffe Sabres flown by the
Pakistani Air Force may have retained their Luftwaffe colours. This
is the choice I made and I welcome information from any modeller
that can shed some light on the subject as I am planning a similar
project in 32 scale.
Luftwaffe enamels were used to paint the kit.
The initial coats
of each colour were lightened with white then weathering was applied
with darker tones of the colours to reflect the appearance of the
aircraft operating in the climate of Pakistan.
The decals were
applied using Micro set and sol with no adverse reactions. The
decals were in register apart from one minor inconsistency with one
roundel. A final coat of Testor's semi-matt varnish was applied to
seal the decals.
I am quite happy with the end result in general.
I didn’t quite
get the sit of the open speed brakes right and the ‘sugar scoops’
look a little too big but then, that leaves me room for improvement.
Many thanks to Jon
Freeman for the inspiration from the book and, the Pakistani Air
Force for painting their Sabres.
Now on to the next
the thumbnails below to view larger images:
Model and Text Copyright © 2006
by Mike Robertson
Images Copyright © 2006 by Brett Green
Page Created 17 December, 2006
21 February, 2007
HyperScale Main Page