Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Czech Master Resin's 1/72 scale Sea Vampire T.22

by Mark Davies


De Havilland Sea Vampire T. Mk.22


HyperScale is proudly supported by Squadron.com




The Sea Vampire T.22 was not a carrier capable aircraft, but it did provide the Royal navy with a useful jet trainer, and the modeller with potentially some very attractive colour schemes to finish models of this pretty little aircraft in.

A useful in-box review of this kit is provided by Internet Modeller at: http://www.internetmodeler.com/2005/august/first-looks/CMR_Vampire.php




This was my second resin kit, and generally I had few problems. The cockpit is highly detailed, and like the original it is cramped. This required making sure that enough of the seat bottoms was removed to be able to close the lid! However the cockpit really has so much very nice detail that modelling it with the canopy open would be a good option.



I should point out that CMR give you two vac-form canopies, and I ended up super-gluing my practice on in place instead of the intended copy! As a result the canopy is a little too high at the rear. I will fix it one day, but itís hard to create more work just when you finish a model and want to move onto the next project.

The trickiest part is fitting the top and bottom fuselage halves together if you choose to have the nose hatch closed like I did, as it is a complex join line. However it wasnít that hard to do. I think it would be easier to build wit the nose lid open displaying the interior detail, but I generally like to have the lines of my planes unbroken, although in this case I was happy to have the flaps down and seed brakes open. There is plenty of nice detail in the wheel wells and the cannon ejection ports are nicely moulded too.



The modeller is required to make the air-intake bars. I chose to use sharpened brass tube of two different radii to cut pieces of 10 though plasticard. I ended up with what can best be described as looking like toenail clippings in shape (sorry, I donít want to put you off your modelling!). I then made three small razor-saw cuts in the bottom of each intake, cut one end of each plastic ďtoenailĒ top match the top inside of the intake, and placed them in each saw cut and superglues them in place. Then it was simple to slice off the excess on the bottom side of the intake and clean up the resulting area.



Painting and Markings


CMR provide a great choice of five schemes, and all are very attractive in my opinion, but I had to do the emerald green admiralís barge. I went for a semi-gloss finish, but it still reflected the light a bit too much in the photos. The decals went down perfectly without the need of solvents.





I feel that given this was my second experience of a resin kit that it should be well within the capabilities of a more practiced resin modeller, but can be tackled by first timers as well, although there are simpler options for a first time resin build available. Iím just glad that CMR has given us a range of really nice Vampire kits, and I will build some more in the future.


Additional Images


Click on the thumbnails below to view larger images:

Model, Text and Images Copyright © 2006 by Mark Davies
Page Created 15 March, 2006
Last Updated 21 February, 2007

Back to HyperScale Main Page