Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Dragon's 1/35 scale
StuH 42 10.5cm Ausf. G

by Andrew Judson

 

StuH 42 10.5cm Ausf. G



Dragon's 1/35 scale Stug III Ausf. G is available online from Squadron

 

Introduction

 

Every now and then when I build kits it is fun to throw in a little more work and make things more challenging. When a friend asked me to do this kit, I opened the box and POW, the gauntlet was thrown down.

Not only did I have the excellent Dragon kit, but also a Aber etch set, an Aber metal barrel, Modelkasten drive wheel set, and Modelkasten tracks. Also included was a nice set of tankers from a Russian company, Tank.

 

 

When building this kit I had to put a lot of thought into the way I would do it , making sure that everything fit in place, and not forgetting any of the etch pieces.

 

 

Construction

 

Basically I tackled the kit in two halves, upper/lower hull.

The lower hull went together without any problems and the Modelkasten drive wheels fitted straight in place. They give you the choice of early/late wheels and I went with the late versions.

 

 

Once together I then dabbed on some white glue around the lower part of the drive line and sprinkled on some very fine grit to simulate the build up of grime. I then painted everything, applied washes, and weathered it all.

Next I did the tracks which are easy, but time consuming.

 

 

I painted them, weathered them and for a final touch, rubbed graphite powder over them to give a subtle metallic finish.

Now the last phase, the top half. This was fun to do as this was where the majority of the etch lay, and I will admit, at times I was quite frustrated with it all , but with the help of my Etch Mate and patience I got through it.

 

 

Painting and Figures

 

Now came the part where I got to cover up all the extra work, painting. I chose a late war Tri scheme, Lightly weathered, and added some subtle scratching over all. I was happy with the end results.

The figures were the last thing to do and these went together without any hitches, they were painted in winter reversible overalls.

When painting everything was done using an Aztek A470 airbrush, and Tamiya Acrylic paints. The figures were painted with Vallejo Acrylics and Mig Productions for all the dust and dirty effects.

 

 

I had a lot of fun building this kit and I hope that you enjoy looking at it.

 

 

Additional Images

 

Click the thumbnails below to view larger images:


Model and Text Copyright 2005 by Andrew Judson
Images Copyright 2005 by Brett Green
Page Created 01 March, 2005
Last Updated 01 March, 2005

Back to HyperScale Main Page