Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9

by Doowan Lee

 

Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9

 


Tamiya's 1/48 scale Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 is available online from Squadron

 

Construction

 

This is Brown 31, a Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 flown by Uffz. Walter Stumpf with 7./JG 26.

I used a Tamiya 1/48 Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 with Verlinden's detail set and some parts from MDC's Fw 190D-9 correction set. MDC's update set was absolutely gorgeous while the kit and update set did require a lot of work and correction. I started with the wings. As documented in great detail, the Tamiya kit suffers from a number of inaccuracies. I corrected the ejector chutes and wheel well. I cut off the molded landing gear indicators and replaced them with scratch-built ones.

 



The engine and firewall went on without too much trouble. I just had to add a jumble of wires and tubes. I used Moskit's beautiful exhaust pipes.

Fitting parts from the Verlinden set to the Tamiya's was not easy. This entailed countless hours of dry-fitting, puttying, sanding, superglueing, unsuperglueing, and a lot of what-the-hell-am-I-doing?s.

I used MDC's spinner and propellers. These are absolutely gorgeous. I drilled out small holes to simulate bolts on the spinner. Compared to the stock parts, MDC's parts look sharp and correct. I think I will use them for all my Doras.

 

 

I lengthened the landing gears and added brake lines.

However, the result of the lengthened struts was not quite as good as I expected because I forgot to increase the length of the supporting arms. As a result, the landing gears are tilted a bit too much inward, partially canceling the effect of the lengthened main struts. Well, I will get it right next time.

I used MDC's beautifully cast wheels and tires. The tail wheel service panel was opened to reveal the inside. These parts were all scratch-built.

 



I used the cockpit that came with the Verlinden update set. However, its PE instrument panel was so disappointing, I remember Verlinden used sharp PE parts and films for other 1/48 update or detail sets. Strangely, the Fw 190D-9 update set only comes with a PE part that has vaguely shaped dials. I used Italeri's Fw-190D-9 instrument panels instead. I am not really thrilled with the result, but it's bearable (I didn't have MDC's cockpit at that time).

I used Eduard Accessories' PE Luftwaffe seatbelts for the shoulder harness since the seat came with the Verlinden set did not have them. For a while, I couldn't find the cigar-shaped drop fuel tank for Brown 31. Finally I realized that the Verlinden Fw 190 underwing set included the right drop tank. I hesitated to buy a whole set just for one drop tank, but had no other choice!

 

 

Paint and Markings

 

I used Eagle Cals' decals. The airplane was painted according to the instructions of the decal sheet. I painted the fuselage in a scheme of RLM 76, Green-Blue, RLM 82 and RLM 83. For the underside, I use RLM 76 and Green-Blue, slightly deviating from the instructions. According to "Green Hearts: First in Combat with the Dora 9", this is a possible color combination. Instead of using just RLM 76, I decided to use some variation.

 

 

The black/white RVD bands were also masked and airbrushed. After a coat of Future and flat lacquer, the decals looked like painted. I washed the model with oil paint and pastel. Another flat coat finally completed the project.

 

 

Conclusion

 

Looking at the Dora sitting next a Bf 109E, I realized it's a big bird.

 

 

Overall, I really liked building this Dora. I suspect I will be building quite a few of them, as I hear the Dora has such an effect on modelers.

 

 

Additional Images

 

Click the thumbnails below to view larger images:


Model, Images and Text Copyright 2003 by Doowan Lee
Page Created 12 September, 2003
Last Updated 17 March, 2004

Back to HyperScale Main Page